Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has submitted his resignation from the club, Spanish newspaper Sport reported on Tuesday.
Bartomeu has been facing growing resentment in the last year due to the club’s worsening finances and the team’s decline on the pitch, which came to a head with their 8-2 defeat to Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals in August.
Bartomeu, who has also been widely criticised after talisman forward Lionel Messi requested a transfer following the Champions League humiliation, was facing a vote of no confidence from the club’s ‘socios’.
He took over from Sandro Rosell in 2014.
- READ MORE
- Champions League: Youthful Barca take care of Dynamo to seal knockout place
- Barcelona to offer Lionel Messi 'job for life'
- Champions League: Why Messi was left out of Barcelona's squad to face Dynamo Kyiv
- Carrasco strike ends Atletico's 10-year wait to beat Barcelona
- Revealed: Man United could have signed Barcelona’s Fati for Sh19billion
- Man City boss Guardiola hopes Messi ends career at Barcelona