Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has submitted his resignation from the club, Spanish newspaper Sport reported on Tuesday.
Bartomeu has been facing growing resentment in the last year due to the club’s worsening finances and the team’s decline on the pitch, which came to a head with their 8-2 defeat to Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals in August.
Bartomeu, who has also been widely criticised after talisman forward Lionel Messi requested a transfer following the Champions League humiliation, was facing a vote of no confidence from the club’s ‘socios’.
He took over from Sandro Rosell in 2014.
- READ MORE
- Champions League: Messi rested again for Barca game at Ferencvaros
- Messi imitated Maradona's goals and skills but not his lifestyle
- Messi salutes Maradona as Barca trounce Osasuna
- Chelsea ‘in equation’ to sign Lionel Messi
- Barcelona's stadium could soon be named after Lionel Messi
- Tunisian referee who missed 'Hand of God' hails 'genius' Maradona