Manchester United have made a surprise enquiry for Chelsea's World Cup-winning midfielder N'Golo Kante.
The 29-year-old is also attracting interest from Inter Milan, managed by former Stamford Bridge manager Antonio Conte, with Chelsea manager Frank Lampard apparently prepared to offload him during the summer transfer window.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is a long-term admirer of the French World Cup winner and believes the former Leicester City man would be a superb addition at Old Trafford.
Contact has been made with Kante's advisors, but any deal is dependent on him taking a big cut on his £300,000-a-week wages.
The two-time Premier League winner is reluctant, however, to leave for less money and that's given United lots to think about.
- READ MORE
- Mbappe sends message to Man United, makes PSG vow
- Man United striker plan revealed – Cavani impresses in training
- How Man United missed out on top defender due to Sh28 million row
- SETTLED: Why Chelsea were not awarded a penalty for Maguire’s headlock on Azpilicueta
- Frustrated and confused: Lampard questions Maguire’s ‘headlock’ on Azpilicueta
- Man United 0-0 Chelsea: Cavani makes debut in Old Trafford stalemate
Kante started for Chelsea last time out as the Blues overturned a three-goal deficit to salvage a point against newly-promoted West Brom.
Callum Robinson put the Baggies ahead in just the fourth minute at the Hawthorns, before doubling West Brom's lead.
Kyle Bartley made it 3-0 on the half hour mark, with the home side going into the break with a substantial lead.
But Chelsea battled back in the second half with goals from Mason Mount, Callum Hudson-Odoi and Tammy Abraham rescuing a point.