Manchester United will not be able to win the Premier League with a centre back partnership of Victor Lindelof and Harry Maguire, former England international Gary Neville has said.
United’s season got underway with a shock 3-1 defeat by Crystal Palace on Saturday, with Sweden international Lindelof culpable for all three goals.
United have been linked with a move for Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho but Neville believes manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer should prioritise the signing of a versatile centre back.
“We can talk about Sancho all we like but until United get a centre back who can run and defend one-on-ones they are never going to win the league,” Neville, who won eight league titles at Old Trafford, told Sky Sports.
“They are never going to win the Premier League with that centre back pairing. They have to get a mobile, dominant centre half in alongside either Lindelof or Maguire.”
- READ MORE
- Gor Mahia win after visiting Mzee K'Ogalo's grave in Homa Bay
- Jesus hits double as rampant Man City go 15 points clear with Wolves win
- Preview: League champions are 18 points behind leaders Tusker
- FKF Premier League: City Stars thrash Mathare United to go eighth in the log
- Man United's Cavani in line for return at Palace
- Solskjaer is ignoring Ferguson’s most repeated phrase – Man United legend
“Over the years, the best centre back partnerships have always had that really quick one who has lightning pace to get across and snuff out the danger. Lindelof and Maguire just don’t have that.”
United face Luton Town in the League Cup on Tuesday before returning to Premier League action with a trip to Brighton on Saturday.