Treble winners Bayern Munich crushed Schalke 04 8-0 with a hat-trick from Serge Gnabry and a superb debut from Leroy Sane on Friday as they made a sensational start to the new Bundesliga season and sent an ominous warning to potential challengers.
Gnabry grabbed his first goal for the hosts with a fine turn and shot in the fourth minute in what turned out to be a one-sided affair that stretched Bayern's unbeaten run to 31 games this year, having now won the last 22 matches in a row.
Schalke, without a league win since January, were helpless against Bayern's lightning-quick game and Leon Goretzka found plenty of space to drive a low shot past keeper Ralf Faehrmann in the 19th minute.
Last season's top scorer Robert Lewandowski found the net with a 31st-minute penalty to become the first player to score in 10 successive appearances against the same Bundesliga opponents.
Gnabry then scored twice from Sane's assists in the 47th and 59th before Thomas Mueller made it half a dozen.
- READ MORE
- Champions League round-up: Bayern break Atletico Madrid, Lukaku makes history
- UEFA Awards: Photos of winners as 'LewanGoalski' takes home Men's Player of the Year
- Bayern suffer 4-1 loss at Hoffenheim to end long unbeaten run
- Fans on best behaviour at Super Cup spectator 'pilot run'
- Bayern drown Sevilla to win 2020 UEFA Super Cup
- Champions League winners Bayern eye more glory amid virus risk to fans
Sane then capped a superb Bayern debut with a fine finish from a counter-attack before substitute Jamal Musiala drilled in goal number eight to become the youngest ever Bayern scorer in the league at 17 years old.