Manchester City players Riyad Mahrez and Aymeric Laporte have tested positive for coronavirus just five days before the start of the new Premier League season, the club announced on Monday.
City said in a statement that French defender Laporte and Algerian international forward Mahrez were self-isolating in accordance with Premier League and government rules.
"Neither is displaying symptoms of the virus," the statement said.
"Everyone at the club wishes Riyad and Aymeric a speedy recovery ahead of their return to training and the new season."
The Premier League season starts on Saturday but Manchester City do not open their campaign until September 21, when they play Wolves.
- READ MORE
- Three talking points from the Premier League
- Solskjaer hails Martial and Shaw after Man United derby win
- Man City vs Man United team news, predicted line-ups
- Guardiola: Bayern, not Manchester City, are best club in Europe
- Aguero handed damning warning over Man City future
- Champions-elect City make it 20 straight wins with victory over West Ham
City and neighbours Manchester United are missing the opening weekend to give them extra time to recover from a late end to the 2019/20 season because both were involved in European competition.
Mahrez tweeted: "Thank you for all the nice messages, I'm good. Stay safe everyone take care of you."
Laporte thanked fans for their messages of support, saying he would be back soon.