Manchester United are taking a look at 19-year-old Germany youth international Reda Khadra during an ongoing trial period.
The teenager was due to play in last week's under-23s friendly against Doncaster's first-team, which United lost 5-0, but he failed to receive international clearance in time and instead was forced to watch on from the sidelines.
He also won't be eligible for Wednesday's EFL Trophy match against the Class of '92 owned Salford City unless he is signed on a permanent deal before then, but he will be able to play in the second string's upcoming friendly matches.
Khadra is a nominally right-winger but can play anywhere across the attacking midfield positions, and he picked up three championship titles at various youth levels as he graduated through the Dortmund system.
A star player in his age group, Khadra impressed in the UEFA Youth League last season, when he scored in a game against Derby County.
- READ MORE
- Mbappe sends message to Man United, makes PSG vow
- Man United striker plan revealed – Cavani impresses in training
- How Man United missed out on top defender due to Sh28 million row
- SETTLED: Why Chelsea were not awarded a penalty for Maguire’s headlock on Azpilicueta
- Frustrated and confused: Lampard questions Maguire’s ‘headlock’ on Azpilicueta
- Man United 0-0 Chelsea: Cavani makes debut in Old Trafford stalemate
But despite being tipped as the next exciting prospect to emerge from the Bundesliga club's academy, he failed to catch the eye of first-team boss Lucien Favre and was released when his contract expired in July.
Bild also report that he failed a trial with Stoke City before pitching up at United, where he is being viewed as very much part of the under-23s side and not the first-team.
United are revamping their youth system this summer to bring in several of the top talents from around Europe.
Norwegian youngster Isak Hansen-Aaroen has joined from Tromso having made his senior debut last season at the age of 15 years and 319 days.
Right-back Marc Jurado, 16, has also joined the club from Barcelona.