x
x Sports Olympics Volleyball and Handball Cricket Hockey Gossip & Rumours World Cup 2018 Sports Premier League Eliud Kipchoge videos TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Digital News Opinions E-Paper Videos Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian SDE Eve Woman Travelog Enterprise VAS E-Learning E-Paper The Standard Group Corporate
Login x Sections Football Rugby Boxing Golf Tennis Basketball Athletics Olympics Volleyball and Handball Cricket Hockey Gossip & Rumours World Cup 2018 Sports Premier League Eliud Kipchoge videos E-Paper @Ksh.20

Oguda says KPL will go on as planned despite SportPesa exit

Last updated 11 months ago | By Rodgers Eshitemi

Jack Oguda [FILE PHOTO/EDWARD KIPLIMO]

The 2019-2020 Kenyan Premier League season will kick off on August 30 as earlier scheduled despite the exit of the title sponsors SportPesa, KPL Chief Executive Officer Jack Oguda has said.

The league’s kick off had been thrown into uncertainty after the leading gaming firm pulled the plug on all its sports sponsorships in the country following a prolonged tax dispute with the government.

SEE ALSO: They came, saw and conquered: Football stars who faded fast

Sportpesa were in their third year of their Sh259.7 million title sponsorship deal with KPL before they cancelled the sponsorship last week.

But with record champions Gor Mahia expected to clash with FKF Shield Cup winners Bandari FC in the curtain-raiser on Sunday in Machakos, it’s an indication the league will start without a sponsor.

SEE ALSO: KPL clubs meet, form five member to oversee league's transition

“The exit of SportPesa will not affect the league’s kick off. We know it’s going to be difficult but we have already started looking for a new partner. The main challenge will be to pay the referees, grants to clubs and administration’s funding,” said Oguda.

“We believe most clubs have their own sponsors, so whatever comes from the league in terms of grants, will just be a plus to them,” Oguda told Standard Sports.

SEE ALSO: FKF’s Sh1.2billion five-year deal divides clubs’ opinion

“We have talked to over 16 companies but none has been committal. We have not had any meeting with SportPesa since they exited, but from their statement, they said they will only come back if the situation gets better.”

Oguda added said they will reveal the league’s prize money. 

Feedback