Burkina Faso struck early in each half to defeat Guinea-Bissau 2-0 Sunday, win Group A of the Africa Cup of Nations and dodge title favourites Senegal in the quarter-finals.
A Rudinilson Silva own-goal on 11 minutes gave the Burkinabe a lead in southeastern city Franceville that Bertrand Traore doubled 12 minutes into the second half.
Burkina Faso and Cameroon finished with five points each and the former topped the table on goal difference. Gabon came third with three points and Guinea-Bissau last with one.
The Burkinabe Stallions return to the Gabonese capital, Libreville, for a last-eight showdown with the Group B runners-up, probably Tunisia, next Saturday.
- READ MORE
- Ghost Mulee reveals how Kenya can still qualify for Africa Cup of Nations despite 2-1 defeat by Comoros
- Pharaohs take control of Harambee Stars’ group: Two teams qualify for AFCON 2021 finals in Cameroon
- German FA to review state of national team on December 4
- Suspension of African football boss opens field for new faces
- Burnley get first win with Wood strike against Palace
- England to allow 4,000 fans at elite events in lowest-risk areas