Pedro backs Fabregas to silence Bridge boo-boys
FOOTBALL By AFP | December 21st 2015
Spain forward Pedro has backed his club and international team-mate Cesc Fabregas to overcome hostility from some Chelsea fans and come good for the west Londoners.
Midfielder Fabregas was jeered by some sections of the Stamford Bridge crowd during Saturday's 3-1 win over Sunderland as part of protests against the sacking of 'Shed' hero Jose Mourinho.
Fabregas, like Pedro a former Barcelona star, has been accused, alongside another Spain international, Diego Costa, of undermining the popular Mourinho, contributing to the Portuguese manager's sacking.
"It was difficult for him but he can get through this," Pedro told the Evening Standard, of Fabregas.
"He is strong mentally and very competitive.
"Cesc is a top player, a very good character in the team, he is a winner and it's good he plays for us.
"I understand why the fans are so upset. It's normal when the team and coach are in this position."
Mourinho convinced Fabregas to join Chelsea for £30 million (41 million euros, $45 million) in June 2014, with the former Arsenal midfielder helping the Blues claim the Premier League title last term.
But Fabregas's form this season has been a far cry from that of the previous campaign and the 28-year-old was forced to deny any part in alleged dressing room revolts earlier this season.
"Thank you for all you have done for me. I owe you a lot and we will all miss you. Good luck in the future," said Fabregas on Twitter after Mourinho's sacking last Thursday.
North Macedonia asks UEFA to investigate whether Arnautovic used racist language after goal