PARIS, French police questioned Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema on Wednesday in connection with an inquiry into an alleged attempt to blackmail fellow-France soccer international Mathieu Valbuena, a police source said.
Investigators are looking into allegations of attempts to blackmail Valbuena using sex video footage and took several others including former Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse in for questioning in mid-October
Benzema's name came up during phone taps in relation to the inquiry opened last July, said the police source, speaking on condition of anonymity as is standard practice in France for police officers without official communications roles.
The Real and France player's lawyer was not immediately available for comment.
- READ MORE
- Real Madrid 1-1 Atletico Madrid: Benzema pounces late on to deny Atletico derby win
- FC Porto and Braga players push ambulance off pitch after it gets stuck
- Barca's Pique investigated for remarks on referees favouring Real Madrid
- Real Madrid see off Getafe to revive hopes of catching Atletico
- Zidane casts doubt on his Real Madrid future
- Eden Hazard suffers thigh injury, doubt for Atalanta UCL clash