The 2015 Kenyan Premier League to kick-off this weekend, insists KPL Chairman Rachier
FOOTBALL By RODGERS ESHITEMI | February 18th 2015
|Gor mahia captain Jerim Onyango (center) defender Musa Mohamed(Left) and club chairman Ambrose Rachier (Second left), recieve the the token from Gor fans on Monday at Meladen Hotel. ( PHOTO: JONAH ONYANGO)|
The 2015 Kenyan Premier League season will kick-off this weekend despite collapse in talks between KPL and Football Kenya Federation over league expansion, the KPL Chairman Ambrose Rachier has said.
The two football bodies met today at the Nairobi’s Southern Sun Hotel as directed by Cabinet Secretary for Sports Hassan Wario, but once again failed to agree on the league format for the 2015 season.
Speaking to the press after leading his officials to walk out of an emotion-charged meeting barely a few hours after Mathare United Chairman Bob Munro and his Tusker counterpart James Musyoki had stormed out, Rachier said they had been short-changed by the federation.
“We’ve not agreed on anything and as far as we are concerned, our league will start this weekend as earlier planned. We’ve been running the 16 team league and we don’t know where this 18 league is coming from,” said Rachier.
“They wanted us to vote, but that was not part of the agreement and more so the federation had invited all its branches to the meeting. They actually failed to give us valid reasons as to why they want an expanded league.”
Asked if they are ready to face the repercussions either from the government or world football governing body, FIFA, the Gor Mahia Chairman said: “Yes, we are aware of the consequences including the ban.”
Mourinho angrily blasts Ole Gunnar after Tottenham's defeat to Man United