× Sports Football Rugby Olympics Volleyball and Handball Cricket Boxing Golf Hockey Tennis Gossip & Rumours Basketball Athletics Premier League Eliud Kipchoge Women in Sports Unique Sports Motorsport Sports Health Videos Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS

Chemelil Sugar millers see off Thika United in a Kenyan Premiere League re-match

FOOTBALL By By BOSCO MAGARE | October 8th 2013 | 2 min read


Chemelil Sugar turned the tide against Thika United, beating the latter 2-0 to reverse the previous day’s rained-off fixture which the visitors led 0-1.

Hosts Chemelil, playing before partisan home fans led by Shim Muyonga, Vincent Kwarula, Noel Ochieng’ and Teddy Olouch who turned up for the match as early as 9am, embarked on the duel on a promising note and did not disappoint their supporters.

The drum beating and vuvuzela blowing fans had thronged Chemelil Sports Complex from Kisumu City and its environs.

And, five minutes into the first-half, marauding Chemelil Sugar players earned a penalty after Thika United defenders Glay Dirkir and Tonny Kizito struggled to ward off the millers’ onslaught as they landed the ball in the box-area.

The spot-kick was well taken by Chemelil’s mid-fielder Samuel Ouma and sent  Thika United custodian Lukas Indeche in the opposite direction for a 1-0 lead.

Chemelil players piled more pressure on Thika United to earn a second goal five minutes later.

Chemelil’s diminutive striker Gerson Likonoh soared high above the towering Thika United defenders to head in the ball following a left wing cross by the first goal scorer Ouma.

Counter attack

Thika United players retreated for a counter attack  only for their defender Dirkir’s shot to go over the crossbar following a corner kick shot.

Thika’s foray turned the match into a see-saw duel with Chemelil Sugar countering through Stephen Wakanya who charged towards the visitors’ goal mouth and looped the ball following a superb double move by Tony Opondo and Likonoh, but the ball was parried off by the Thika United  custodian.

Changing tact

Chemelil mounted another counter-attack through player of the match Victor Omondi but his powerful shot was  nabbed by Thika’s goalkeeper during the match played under the scorching sun.

After the break, Thika United players took to the field changing tact with former Chemelil striker Wycliffe Opondo’s move with Clifford Miheso nearly bearing fruits.

Thika continued piling  on the pressure through Vincent Nyaberi who out-sprinted Likonoh only to unleash a blistering shot into the waiting hands of Chemelil Sugar hawk-eyed custodian Jairus Adira.

Chemelil Sugar dominated the dying minutes of the thrilling Kenya Premier League match as Obwoge and second-half substitute James Macharia squandereds valuable scoring chances during the match officiated by Magadi Soda-based central referee Edward Lubungu.

Speaking to FeverPitch after the match Thika United head coach Michael Kamau conceded defeat and said the team lost due to players’ own mistakes.

“We created many scoring opportunities but failed to convert them into goals,” said Kamau.

[email protected]

Share this story
GSU stun Ulinzi to win Aphia Plus title
General Service Unit (GSU) emerged the overall winners in the men category of the APHIA Plus Kamili volleyball tournament staged at the Kisumu’s Lion High School grounds after beating Ulinzi in straight 3-0 sets in the finals.
What 2022 holds for title-hungry Kenyan athletes
It remains to be seen if stars Kipyegon, Kipchoge and Jepchirchir will continue with the good shows.