× Sports Volleyball and Handball Cricket Hockey Gossip & Rumours Premier League Videos Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×
SPORTS

Manny Pacquiao demands Sh4 billion purse for next world title fight

BOXING By Mirror | February 16th 2021
LAS VEGAS, NV - APRIL 29: WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao looks out at members of the media during a news conference at the KA Theatre at MGM Grand Hotel & Casino on April 29, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada. [Ethan Miller/Getty Images/AFP]

Manny Pacquiao says he wants a fee of $40million (£30m) to take on Terence Crawford this year.

The Filipino star has not returned to the ring since beating Keith Thurman in July 2019.

But his party have been in negotiations with Crawford over a potential bout in the Middle East in the near future.

The 42-year-old revealed he has spoken to Crawford's promoter Bob Arum about the prospect of the two facing off.

And in an interview with the Daily Tribune Pacquiao named the eye-watering price he is demanding to make it happen.

"I like to fight somebody who has a title," he said. "We told Bob I get $40million (£30m) and Crawford gets $10million (£7m).

"I will fight anybody. You know me, I don't back away from any challenge. Bring them on!"

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA - JULY 20: Manny Pacquiao (R) hits Keith Thurman with a right in the second round of their WBA welterweight title fight at MGM Grand Garden Arena on July 20, 2019 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Pacquiao won in a split decision. [Ethan Miller/Getty Images/AFP]

Pacquiao was recently stripped of his WBA belt due to inactivity, and appears desperate to make a comeback.

There was also speculation he could face MMA star Conor McGregor - but the Irishman's defeat to Dustin Poirier last month appears to have dented the prospect of this happening.

Pacquiao's promoter Sean Gibbons said on the matter: "Very unfortunate, it looked like Conor looked past Dustin and got knocked out.

"Maybe he had the Senator on his mind. I think the demand for the fight is not there presently.

"Conor has some business to clean up and handle in the UFC. It's a bummer, it could have been fun for as long as it lasted and I know leg kicks would have made a world of difference."

Pacquiao could be set to lose tens of millions of dollars as a result of McGregor's defeat as he misses out on a potential huge pay-day.

Share this story
Man United fear Paul Pogba could face longer spell on sidelines with thigh problem
Pogba limped out of Man Utd's clash with Everton before missing their last two matches and now faces a battle to be fit for the crucial fixtures again
Solskjaer casts doubt on long-term future with Man United
Manchester United are in the midst of one of their best Premier League seasons in years with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer looking to push Manchester City.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS
Feedback