× Sports Football Rugby Olympics Volleyball and Handball Cricket Boxing Golf Hockey Tennis Gossip & Rumours World Cup 2018 Basketball Athletics Sports Premier League Eliud Kipchoge Women in Sports Unique Sports Opinion Videos Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×
SPORTS

World Under-20 Championship LOC assures participants of maximum security

ATHLETICS By Elvince Joshua | May 11th 2021
President Athletics Kenya  Jackson Tuwei during AK first relay series at Nyayo National Stadium on Saturday, Jan 9, 2020. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]


The World Under-20 Athletics Championships Local Organising Committee (LOC) has assured participants of maximum security ahead of the event scheduled for 17 to 22 August 2021, in Nairobi.

Last week, the New Zealand federation announced they will not be sending a team to Kenya over fears of Covid-19 and a potential terrorist attack.

But Athletics Kenya chairman Jackson Tuwei has assured Kenyans all measures have been put in place to ensure that the event is not only safe from the current Covid-19 pandemic but also secured from other threats.

“There is no cause for alarm. We successfully hosted the 2017 World Under-18 Championships here at Moi Stadium, Kasarani and we hope to enhance securing during the World Under 20 Championships in August,” Tuwei said on Tuesday after receiving a consignment of sports equipment from World Athletics ahead of the event.

Tuwei also revealed that World Athletics officials are expected in Nairobi next month for the final inspection ahead of the biggest athletics event to be staged in the country in the recent past.

The LOC is still waiting for more consignments for technical, training and competition purposes. Tuwei said they expected everything to be shipped in latest July.

Tuwei noted the renovation works at the venue is almost 80 per cent complete adding the facility will be ready for use by the end of June.

“Of course, we have had our challenges with the main one being Covid 19, but judging from the progress, I am happy to say we are very much on course,” he noted.

According to Tuwei, the LOC offices are up and running as the warm-up area is being finalised. The Media Tribune and Media Centre are still being constructed.

He, however, affirmed the LOC is taking Covid-19 threat seriously and there are measures in place to ensure visitors are safe.

Three doctors from the Local Organising Committee were in Poland during the World Relays Championships to look at the Covid protocols at international level.

 

Share this story
Man United erect 10-foot steel fence around Old Trafford in fear of more protests
Manchester United chiefs are desparate to avoid a repeat of the anti-Glazer demonstrations at the start of the month, during which fans broke through.
43-year-old Buffon to leave Juventus but postpones decision on retirement
Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon says he will leave the club when his contract expires at the end of the season but could still join another team
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS
Feedback