Olympic and world 3,000m steeplechase champion Conseslus Kipruto has confirmed he will make his season debut at the Monaco Diamond League on August 14.
The 25-year-old will be among a horde of competition starved athletes from Kenya to run in a competitive race for the first time in almost nine months as sports events return after lockdown due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Speaking from Eldoret on Tuesday, Conseslus said he will be out gunning for a fast time.
"I am ready. Monaco here I come. It will be fired on August 14," Conseslus told Xinhua.
However, despite receiving an official invite to compete in Monaco, Conseslus is praying the Kenya government gets the clearance from the European Union to be able to travel to Monaco.
- READ MORE
- Spurs confirm losses of Sh 9.2 billion pounds as COVID-19 hits revenue
- Juniors gauge their fitness at Under-20 pre-trials meeting
- English Football League re-introduces five substitutions rule
- Olympics: Athletes’ Village must be safest place in Tokyo
- World champion Obiri shifts focus to 2021 Tokyo Olympics
- Magnificent Magdi goal hands Al Ahly CAF Champions League title
The EU has listed Rwanda, Algeria, Morocco and Tunisia as the only countries from Africa whose citizens are allowed to enter their region from July 1.
"Travel restrictions should be lifted for countries listed in the recommendation, with this list being reviewed and, as the case may be, updated every two weeks," EU said in a statement on July 1.
However, Conseslus said he was hopeful Athletics Kenya (AK) and Ministry of Foreign Affairs will secure a special exemption for athletes as they seek to restart their season.
"I know the organisers of the race in Monaco and AK are in negotiation in regard to overcoming the travel challenge. We might be forced to take Covid-19 tests and be given certificates to confirm our status before traveling," Conselsus said.
Conselsus won gold medals at the 2016 Olympics in Rio, 2017 and 2019 World Championships. He also won the World Youth and in 2012 the World Junior titles.
His win in Doha World championships was his fourth successive medal - after silvers in 2013 and 2015 - and it came at the end of an injury-ravaged season which saw him fail to win a single race at the Diamond League.
Conseslus, however, said he expects stiff challenge from Ethiopian Lamecha Girma and last year's world leader Soufiane El Bakkali of Morocco.
"We have rested a long time and everyone is itching to get out and run. Expect some fast times. For me, with no Olympics or World Championships, I believe this is the year to run under eight minutes," Conseslus added.