FIFA 'extend season indefinitely' allowing 2019/20 Premier League to be completed
World football's governing body will reportedly confirm that they are set to alter the dates of the summer transfer window and allow for contract extensions
FIFA will reportedly confirm that the 2019/20 season has been extended indefinitely to allow leagues to be completed across the globe once the coronavirus crisis has begun to ease.
The Athletic claim that the summer transfer window and player contracts will also be altered, with players whose deals were running out on June 30 now set to be allowed to stay with their current clubs until the season finishes.
FIFA hope that the plans - which mean that the prospect of a 'null and void' Premier League season will become greatly reduced - will allow for each country to finish their leagues as and when they see that it is safe to do so.
The prospect of matches played behind closed doors or at neutral venues are now likely to come into focus as ways are discussed to finish the current campaign, with some leagues said to be determined to stage matches in front of fans when possible.
On Friday the Premier League confirmed that that were committed to finishing the current season following a meeting of all 20 clubs.
In a statement they said: "The Premier League is working closely with the whole of professional football in this country, as well as with the Government, public agencies and other relevant stakeholders to ensure the game achieves a collaborative solution.
"With this, there is a combined objective for all remaining domestic league and cup matches to be played, enabling us to maintain the integrity of each competition.
"However, any return to play will only be with the full support of the Government and when medical guidance allows."
Monday marks four weeks since the most recent Premier League fixture, with the next matches potentially now slated for June.
- Bournemouth player tests positive for COVID-19Premier League 1 day ago
- MLS 'exploring scenarios' for possible return to actionFootball 2 days ago
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic suffers potential career-ending injury – reportsGossip & Rumours 13 hours ago
- Bundesliga stat suggests home advantage has disappeared behind closed doors Football 9 hours ago
- Van Persie recalls being slapped by ex-Man United boss Van GaalFootball 1 day ago
- Gym closures force Kenyan sports champions to train by roadsideAthletics 13 hours ago
- Eid al-Fitr! Sports stars across the world celebrate end of RamadanFootball 1 day ago