Kenyan midfield star Teddy Akumu signs for Kaizer Chiefs
Kenyan international Anthony ‘Teddy’ Akumu Agay has signed a three-and-half year deal with South African side Kaizer Chiefs.
The Harambee Stars midfielder joins the Glamour Boys from Zambian club Zesco United. Chiefs confirmed the signing on Wednesday.
Akumu previously played for perennial Kenya Premier League (KPL) champions Gor Mahia, Sudanese side Al Khartoum and Zambian giants Zesco.
“I am still in the process of learning about the team. From my experience so far, I am happy to be here – this is a loving team with great support. It’s like a family – the players, supporters, and administration are like one. The team has ambitions and goals and I want to help them achieve these.” Akumu told kaizerchiefs.com
Akumu who played 18 games for K’ogalo became the first Kenyan international to sign for the club.
“I have learnt that I am the first Kenyan at Chiefs and it is a good thing. I now need to perform well and show I’m capable of doing for the team. This will hopefully open doors for other people. The fact that Chiefs had had so many players representing different African countries, it shows what a welcoming team it is and I am grateful to be part of that”. He added.
The 27- year-old featured in the CAF Confederations Cup game against Kaizer Chiefs in play-off round game in January 2019 where he represented his former side Zesco.
He joins his former Zesco United teammate Lazalous Kambole at the club.
“When you come to a football institution like this, it’s good to have somebody to help show you around and guide you, having him around is making it easier for me to acclimatize,” said Akumu.
Akumu joins the list of former Kenya internationals who have featured in the South African top-flight league (PSL) including Musa Otieno Santos between 1997 and 2011 winning a league title, two cups, and the BP Top8.
Others are Brian Mandela, Alli Abondo and Clifton Miheso.
- Ronaldo names Messi as favourite player to watchFootball 1 day ago
- FKF polls: Football players want a quick resolution to poll crisis and credible exerciseFootball 1 hour ago
- Liverpool’s training return a massive lift for KloppFootball 1 day ago
- MLS players send new restart proposal to leagueFootball 2 days ago
- Chelsea stars take the knee as Premier League stars lead way on Blackout TuesdayFootball 7 hours ago
- Fans could return for 20-21 season, says Premier League chiefFootball 2 days ago
- Athletics: Stars dust spikes in readiness for epic race on June 11Athletics 1 hour ago