John Stones linked with shock move to Arsenal
Arsenal are considering a move for Manchester City defender John Stones, according to reports.
New Gunners' boss Mikel Arteta is understood to be looking to strengthen his defence before the end of the January transfer after allowing Konstantinos Mavropanos to join Nurnberg on loan.
The Spaniard worked with Stones during his time as a coach at City and The Sun reports that he ready to make a move for the England international.
According to the publication, the 25-year-old is open to leaving the Etihad Stadium this month in a bid to gain more first team action as he looks to secure a place in Gareth Southgate's squad for Euro 2020.
Despite being a key member of the City squad that won back-to-back titles, Stones has been out of the favour for much of the season.
And with the defender represented by the same agency as Arsenal boss Arteta, it is claimed that he would be open to discussing a switch to the North London club, even if it was only on loan.
A source reportedly told The Sun : “He was in London to see his agent last week and is due back again this week.
“He knows if he is to resurrect his England career he has to get more time on the pitch.
“Arteta is in need of defenders so it could be perfect for both of them.”
Even with the summer departure of Vincent Kompany and the long-term injury to first-choice centre-back Aymeric Laporte, Stones has found it hard to nail down a regular place in Pep Guardiola's plans this season.
With the former Everton defender struggling for both form and fitness this season, the Spaniard has frequently deployed midfielders Fernandinho and Rodri in his back line.
He has also given opportunities to teenagers Taylor Harwood-Bellis and Eric Garcia in recent weeks.
Although Stones has featured just 10 times in the Premier League this season, he played all 90 minutes of City's 6-1 thrashing of Aston Villa on Sunday.
- Ex-Arsenal Player sacked after child sex offences and molestationFootball 2 days ago
- Mayweather sends message to Wilder after Fury defeatBoxing 1 day ago
- Liverpool announce pre-tax profit for last seasonFootball 12 hours ago
- Arsenal slammed for showing no characterPremier League 56 minutes ago
- Champions League rule Chelsea broke while playing Bayern Munich – WengerFootball 1 day ago
- Beach Volleyball: No time to relax as squad eyes vital slotVolleyball and Handball 1 day ago
- Russian tennis star Sharapova retiresTennis 1 day ago