Zico dedicates Harambee Stars win to suspended Kimanzi
Harambee Stars assistant coach Zedekiah Zico Otieno has dedicated the national team’s 2-1 win over Sudan in the on-going Cecafa Senior Challenge in Kampala, Uganda to their suspended head coach Francis Kimanzi.
Otieno was in the dug-out as Hassan Abdallah came off the bench to inspire the defending champions to victory against the Sudanese side and book a place in the semifinals with a game to spare.
Kimanzi was handed a two-match ban by the tournament’s organising committee allegedly for unsporting behaviour, moments before Kenya defeated Tanzania 1-0 in Group B, on Sunday.
But Otieno believes Kimanzi’s absence in the stadium will not affect their target of topping the group and consequently retain the regional trophy.
Harambee Stars clash with Zanzibar in their final preliminary round tie on Sunday as Tanzania take on Sudan.
“We did all this against Sudan as a present for our head coach (Francis Kimanzi), who was suspended unfairly. As a team, we were not pleased with the punishment he has been subjected to because he did nothing on that day,” said Otieno during the post-match press conference at Lugogo Stadium.
“We came here with a mission to retain the title. We have qualified for the semis and I think we are still on course to achieving that target. Our focus right now is on winning the Zanzibar game and top the group.”
Asked if he is pleased with his players’ performance so far and what their chances of defending the title are, the KCB coach said:
“I think we have a young team. We are trying to look for players who can come in and help the senior team when it comes to AFCON qualification.”
“Playing in a tournament like this, every team improves with each game. But it is all about planning.”
- Torino 0-7 Atalanta: Ilicic bags hat-trick in epic Serie A tieFootball 7 hours ago
- Motorsport: Kenyan riders off to international contestSports 1 day ago
- Title race intensifies as KPL resumes with seven matches Football 1 day ago
- AS Roma stunned by success of missing children's campaignFootball 6 hours ago
- Who will win 2019 Soya gala tonight?Sports 2 days ago
- Shujaa miss semi-final berth in Hamilton 7s contestRugby 14 hours ago
- Why Tottenham Hotspur are finding it difficult to sell Victor WanyamaFootball 1 day ago