Beyond Zero campaign aims to raise Sh250 million
First Lady Margaret Kenyatta launched the fifth edition of Beyond Zero Half Marathon at State House, Nairobi, yesterday.
The event aims at raising Sh250 million and targets 25,000 participants in the contest set for March 8, 2020 at Nyayo Stadium.
“Through funds raised, we will commit resources towards this investment through building, refurbishing, modeling and equipping specialized healthcare unit,” said the First Lady.
She went on: “In this regard, I am pleased to announce that I will run the fifth edition of Beyond Zero Half Marathon on March 6, 2020 and invite you to run with me.”
The launch coincided with the International Day of Disabled Persons, which aims to promote the rights of persons living with disabilities in all spheres of society and development.
The first lady was flanked by world marathon record holder Eliud Kipchoge, who praised race organizers saying he is proud to be associated the race.
“Beyond Zero Half Marathon remains an inspirational initiative that has continued to impact millions of Kenyans through its advocacy programs that touch on pregnant mothers, infants, children, young people, women, men and older persons,” said Kipchoge, who was accompanied by his wife Grace.
Kipchoge, who is Olympic marathon champion, said: “Indeed, I am proud to have been invited to this event as I can confidently say that I associate myself with the philosophy and objectives behind the initiative. The event heralds yet another challenge for Beyond Zero initiative.”
“I urge all Kenyans of goodwill both at an individual and corporate level to come out in large numbers to support Her Excellency in the initiative.
The winner of the race will pocket Sh2 million while registration is Sh2,000.
- Athletics Championships: Sports CS inspects World U-20 facilities at KUSports 2 days ago
- Man United predicted line up and team news for FA Cup trip to Tranmere RoversFootball 1 day ago
- Kobe Bryant tributes led by Barack Obama , CR7 and Michael JordanBasketball 22 hours ago
- Ronaldo and Luis Figo bashed after they posted identical messages to mourn Kobe Bryant’s deathFootball 8 hours ago
- Manchester United defender leaves Old Trafford on loanFootball 2 days ago
- Awards: Nigerians, Ethiopians stand out in Soya galaSports 2 days ago
- Torino 0-7 Atalanta: Ilicic bags hat-trick in epic Serie A tieFootball 2 days ago