Delight for Man United fans after Everton ‘rejects’ top striker
Erling Haaland's exploits this season with Red Bull Salzburg have made him one of Europe's most sought after talents.
Manchester United are keen on bringing the Norwegian to Old Trafford, but face competition from a host of leading lights around the continent.
But had it not been for Everton's reluctance Haaland might already be tearing up the Premier League with the Toffees.
David Walsh, who was axed from Merseyside 18 months ago, moved from Leicester after helping lead their incredible Premier League triumph three-years-ago thanks to his savvy recruitment.
A little-known N'Golo Kante arrived from Caen for just over £5m and was crucial in the unlikeliest of title charges.
But Walsh wasn't able to work the same magic at Everton which he puts down to the club's attitude in the transfer market.
Haaland was on his way to Goodison Park - but the club turned down the deal and did likewise with Liverpool's assist machine Andrew Robertson before he moved to Anfield.
Walsh told the Athletic: “While I was at Everton, I offered them Andrew Robertson and Harry Maguire deals, when they were at Hull, and it was worth £20 million for the pair. Everton wouldn’t take them.
“I had a deal done for Jonny Evans too before he came to Leicester, but again they wouldn’t take him. Erling Haaland, the striker with Salzburg, I had him and his dad at the club with a deal done for £3.4m (€4m). The club wouldn’t back me.”
Everton though has been happy to throw the cash about over the past few seasons - Ronald Koeman was sufficiently backed shortly before he was sacked.
Marco Silva, who is into his second year in charge, has been allowed to sign the likes of Richarlison, Alex Iwobi, and Moise Kean.
Yet the Toffees are struggling in the bottom half of the table with pressure mounting on their Portuguese manager.
- Wilson Kipsang survives road accident [Photos]Athletics 2 days ago
- Chelsea boss Lampard to move for Zaha in JanuaryGossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- Top swimmers in East Africa converge in Mombasa todaySwimming 2 days ago
- Paul Pogba ruled out of AZ Alkmaar clashFootball 2 days ago
- Why Simeone can't afford another slip at AtleticoFootball 2 days ago
- Russian champ blasts own sports authorities over banAthletics 2 days ago
- Benitez not keen on Arsenal and Everton jobsPremier League 2 days ago