‘Mtoto mkubwa’ – Mourinho was warned about signing Lukaku
Jose Mourinho was warned about signing Romelu Lukaku for Manchester United. Lukaku arrived at Old Trafford in a £75m deal from Everton in 2017 but left just two years later for Inter Milan.
After a decent start to his United career, Lukaku's form dipped and he found himself out of the plans of boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Mourinho was the man to bring the Belgian in, having worked with him at Chelsea before he left for Everton.
Before the transfer was completed, Everton director of football Steve Walsh had some advice for Mourinho having worked with him previously at Stamford Bridge.
“When Jose signed Romelu Lukaku from Everton, I remember saying to him, ‘You have to be careful with Lukaku. He is a big baby, you know," Walsh told the Athletic. "He said he could handle him. I don’t think he really got Lukaku on-side mentally, which you have to do."
Walsh doesn't believe Mourinho was able to do that with Lukaku or teammate Paul Pogba, who were both out of sorts before he was sacked last December.
"That is the case with him and Paul Pogba. They aren’t my type of players. They are more about themselves than the team," Walsh added. "I wouldn’t have touched them. Because they are good players doesn’t mean you are going to get a good team out of it."
Meanwhile, Lukaku has claimed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wanted him to remain at the club, but he had decided his time was up. The Belgian striker, who is enjoying a decent start at Inter Milan, admits he had told Solskjaer he wanted to go last March.
- Cristiano Ronaldo reportedly regrets leaving Real MadridFootball 23 hours ago
- Former world marathon record holder Wilson Kipsang survives road crashAthletics 1 day ago
- Golf: Mathu claims Standard County Golf Classic title in LimuruGolf 1 day ago
- No love lost as Harambee Stars tackle TanzaniaFootball 2 days ago
- Amazon secures top Champions League rights for GermanyFootball 5 hours ago
- How Kenya floored the world at Mombasa OpenSports 18 hours ago
- French basketball player fined in China for not looking at flag during anthem Basketball 1 day ago