Rugby: USIU bag first win as Masinde Muliro, Strathmore Leos maintain top spot
United States International University-Africa (USIU) RFC registered their first win of the season after overpowering fellow students, University of Eldoret Trojans 20-16, in Eldoret.
USIU captain Eliud Mulakoli scored a penalty, a try, a drop goal and made two conversions on top of Fred Okoth’s try to seal their maiden away win.
Dennis Mwanga’s three penalties and Martin Luta’s converted try for the hosts could not stop the Nairobi-based students from victory with Mulakoli crediting the win to hard work.
“We played well with determination and we are delighted to have bagged our first away win, which shows our growth considering last season’s poor away form we had,” Mulakoli Mbeche told the Standard Sports.
Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology (MMUST RFC) maintained their perfect start to the 2019-20 KRU Championship after registering a narrow 8-6 win against former Kenya Cup side Kisii RFC.
Kisii drew the first blood with Brian Onguti converting two penalties before Nobert Lumbwani cut the deficit to one point before the break with an unconverted try.
MMUST would then seal their fourth win of the season in the second half when Tyson Juma drilled in a penalty between the posts as the Kakamega-based students maintained their second spot in the standings.
At the Coast, Strathmore Leos ended Mombasa RFC’s home-unbeaten run in a 26-14 win at Mombasa Sports Club to maintain their lead at the helm of the championship standings.
Speaking after the win, Leos captain Gabriel Adero said their confidence is growing with every game and remain focused on returning to Kenya Cup next season.
“Our performances are getting better after each game. We are, however, going to take it slow because the championship this season is very competitive,” he said. [Washington Onyango]
Novices Northern Suburbs also left the Coast with a win after beating hosts South Coast Pirates 14-3. Egerton Wasps joined the winning lists after edging newbies Eldoret 6-3 in another tight match.
In Karen, Mean Machine bagged the second win of the season after edging Catholic Monks 10-3. They join high-flying Strathmore Leos who beat Mombasa 26-14
Leos maintain top spot with 19 points from four wins, two more than second placed MMUST. Kisii remain bottom of the table followed by Mombasa RFC. [Washington Onyango]
- What awaits Sports PS Okudo following Uhuru Kenyatta’s Cabinet reshuffleSports 2 days ago
- Picking Tokyo team leaves Athletics Kenya bosses with sleepless nightsAthletics 2 days ago
- Bandari set sights on Football Kenya Federation (FKF) Cup defenceFootball 2 days ago
- Marita eyes league title after scoring on Tusker debutFootball 2 days ago
- Sportsman living with disability: Mutai, Mushai face-off in this year's Soya galaAthletics 2 days ago
- Why Kamworor will skip Africa cross country Athletics 2 days ago
- Billionaire who sold his Arsenal stake to Gunners’ owner secures naming rights to new Everton stadiumFootball 2 days ago