Man City 'make formal complaint' over referee Michael Oliver's performance in Liverpool defeat
Manchester City have reportedly made a formal complaint over the performance of referee Michael Oliver in the Blues' defeat to Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday.
City were beaten 3-1 by their rivals on Merseyside leaving them nine points off the title pace going into the current international break.
Pep Guardiola appeared to sarcastically thanks Oliver and his assistants at the end of the game, shaking their hands and saying: "Thank you so much."
But Guardiola had eccentrically remonstrated over decisions on the touchline, including the decision not to award two separate penalties to City.
The first - early in the game - would have seen Fabinho's sensational opener ruled out had VAR adjudged that Trent Alexander-Arnold had handled in the area just seconds before.
And, according to The Sun, City lodged an official complaint to PGMOL chief Mike Riley 24 hours after the game.
Riley is scheduled to give an update on VAR to clubs today at the 'shareholder' meeting in London.
But there is unlikely to be any radical shift in policy with Riley instead set to highlight the successes of the technology since its introduction at the start of the season.
VAR has received widespread condemnation as the campaign has progressed with even pro-VAR voices going back on their original opinion in light of the disruption the technology has caused.
- Former international players urge for respect on FIFA's stand on FKF ElectionsFootball 2 days ago
- Juventus players agree to take pay reduction in Sh10 billion cost-cutFootball 2 days ago
- Chelsea player reveals difficulty of separation from children due to coronavirusFootball 2 days ago
- UEFA president admits that current season may not finishFootball 2 days ago
- Italian minister to propose extending sports ban to whole of April Football 2 days ago
- Former star OF Edmonds hospitalized with coronavirus symptomsFootball 2 days ago
- Juventus players, coach Sarri agree pay cut due to coronavirusFootball 2 days ago