Man City to spend Sh11 billion to try catch up with Liverpool in January
Manchester City are reportedly set for a £100million spending spree in the January transfer window after failing to keep pace with Liverpool in the Premier League title race.
Pep Guardiola's decision not to replace Vincent Kompany after the captain retired at the end of last season has backfired spectacularly, with the defence looking shaky in the absence of injured centre-back Aymeric Laporte.
City will also target need replacements for midfielder David Silva, who is in his final season at the club, and Sergio Aguero, who is contracted until 2021 but is now 31.
Liverpool took full advantage of City's defensive problems in their title-race showdown on Sunday, winning 3-1 at Anfield to go nine points clear of their rivals.
That gives City a huge problem in their quest to win a third straight Premier League title, with Liverpool having won 11 and drawn one of their 12 Premier League games so far, and not looking like losing.
City were missing regular keeper Ederson as well as Laporte, who is expected to be out until at least February with a knee injury.
In Laporte's absence, midfielder Fernandinho has played out of position at centre-back, with John Stones having also had a spell out injured.
Phil Foden is being groomed as David Silva's successor in the City midfield, but is not yet being given a great deal of game time in the top flight.
And an eventual replacement for Aguero will also be targeted as Guardiola looks to provide competition to keep his forward line on their toes.
City will aim to bring in three players in January, according to the Mail - which will cost them at least £100m.
There has been speculation that manager Guardiola will leave the club, with his wife Cristina having already returned to Spain.
But sources have said the City manager will see out the remaining 18 months of his contract.
- Prince Harry reemerges for Rugby League World Cup drawRugby 2 days ago
- Why children could be banned from heading the ball in ScotlandFootball 2 days ago
- Bruno Fernandes plans confirmed by Sporting Lisbon coach Premier League 2 days ago
- Tanzanian striker set to light up the Premier LeagueFootball 2 days ago
- UEFA change Team of the Year formation to fit in Cristiano RonaldoFootball 2 days ago
- Firmino in tears as Liverpool teammate Alisson assists emotional baptism [PHOTOS]Football 2 days ago
- FIBA AfroBasket qualifiers: Brave Somalia gives Kenyans real scareBasketball 2 days ago