Rugby World Cup referee Jaco Peyper mocks France elbow red card after Wales win
South African referee Jaco Peyper has landed himself in hot water with French rugby fans by appearing to pose for a picture with a group of Welsh supporters with a raised elbow, mimicking a key incident in the close-fought match.
Wales beat France 20-19 in a dramatic rugby World Cup quarter-final on Sunday and Peyper, who officiated the game, sent off France lock Sebastien Vahaamahina for elbowing Aaron Wainwright in the face when France were leading 19-10.
A picture being circulated on social media appears to show Peyper in the middle of a group of Welsh fans, raising his elbow to seemingly mimic the incident that led to Vahaamahina’s sending off.
“As much as Vahaamahina deserves his red card, Jaco Peyper deserves to stop officiating in the World Cup after that. He can celebrate his match but this joke is unworthy of a referee,” one fan wrote on Twitter.
“Card fully justified, but after this photo I do wonder about the impartiality of the man in black,” another one added.
Wales rallied to win after the red card, setting up a semi-final with South Africa.
Vahaamahina is scheduled to attend an independent judicial committee hearing into his sending off on Thursday.
- Wilson Kipsang survives road accident [Photos]Athletics 2 days ago
- Chelsea boss Lampard to move for Zaha in JanuaryGossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- Top swimmers in East Africa converge in Mombasa todaySwimming 2 days ago
- Paul Pogba ruled out of AZ Alkmaar clashFootball 2 days ago
- Why Simeone can't afford another slip at AtleticoFootball 2 days ago
- Russian champ blasts own sports authorities over banAthletics 2 days ago
- Benitez not keen on Arsenal and Everton jobsPremier League 2 days ago