'I would quit Liverpool if' - Jurgen Klopp
Jurgen Klopp has responded to Red Bull Salzburg coach Jesse Marsch's passionate half-time team talk by declaring he would quit Liverpool if the club released similar footage of his team talk.
The German manager, who was speaking ahead of Saturday's Premier League clash with Leicester, saw his Reds team overcome Marsch's Austrian opponents 4-3 in a thrilling Champions League encounter on Wednesday.
Klopp was in light-hearted mood at his pre-match press conference but suddenly became very serious when asked about a video of Marsch’s half time team talk at Anfield, which was released by his own club.
The US coach was filmed pleading with his side to fight against the Reds, asking them to “get f****** stuck in” and even to target Virgil van Dijk, as he thrust out an elbow to suggest what they should do against the defender.
Klopp refused to be drawn on the specifics of the video, but he raised a few eyebrows when he insisted he would quit Liverpool if he was ever filmed like that in the Anfield dressing room.
“If LFCTV would put out a video of me in a situation like that, I would leave the club," he said.
The Liverpool manager, meanwhile, is still unsure whether goalkeeper Alisson Becker will be ready to return to face Leicester on Saturday.
The Brazil international has not featured since injuring a calf in the first match of the season, but he has been involved in full training for the first time and Klopp could make a late decision on whether to involve him.
"Alisson is still maybe, maybe not. Yesterday he trained with the team and he looked really good," said Klopp.
"We will see before making a decision."
He will definitely be without defender Joel Matip (knock) and Xherdan Shaqiri (calf).
"Joel looks good but is not ready for tomorrow. Shaq too," he added.
- Eliud Kipchoge on whether he can run normal marathon in under two hoursAthletics 2 days ago
- Rugby: Kabras Sugar maintain winning sweetness in Kenya CupRugby 2 days ago
- Storms blunt Strathmore’s Swords to reach semi-finalsBasketball 2 days ago
- Stars jet back and set sights on Hawks tieFootball 2 days ago
- Athletics: Chebet and Kiplimo rule in Baringo 10km race Athletics 2 days ago
- Hockey: Scorpions sting at City Park too painful for SlidersHockey 2 days ago
- Athletics: Karanja and Wangui emerge victorious in Masai Mara raceAthletics 2 days ago