Romelu Lukaku completes £73m Inter Milan transfer from Man Utd
Romelu Lukaku has completed his move to Inter Milan from Manchester United.
The Serie A side made Lukaku their No.1 transfer priority this summer with Antonio Conte having tried to sign the striker while at Chelsea.
Inter had a £54m bid rejected for Lukaku, with United holding out for close to the £75m they paid Everton for his services in 2017.
Juventus looked set to rival their Serie A rivals for Lukaku's signature, with the Belgian tipped to move to Turin as part of a swap deal involving Paulo Dybala.
But that move broke down and Inter reignited their interest in the final days of the window.
A £73m deal was agreed between the two clubs, with United negotiating a sell-on clause in the move.
Lukaku enjoyed a decent start to his United career but his form dipped last season after admitting he had gained too much weight.
He slipped down the pecking order under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who preferred Marcus Rashford as his central striker.
And amid interest from Italy, Lukaku missed United's entire pre-season campaign with Solskjaer citing injury problems.
Lukaku was set to return to United training this week but went AWOL, instead flying out to Belgium to train with former club Anderlecht.
But he finally got his wish as Inter returned with an improved offer, which was enough for United to do business.
Mario Mandzukic had been mooted as a potential replacement but Solskjaer is unlikely to make a move for the Croatian striker.
- Beach Volleyball: No time to relax as squad eyes vital slotVolleyball and Handball 1 day ago
- Liverpool announce pre-tax profit for last seasonFootball 1 day ago
- Ramogi falls short of making Olympic Games teamBoxing 1 day ago
- Champions League rule Chelsea broke while playing Bayern Munich – WengerFootball 2 days ago
- Cameroon footballer donates Sh1.6 million to students stranded in coronavirus-hit ChinaFootball 9 hours ago
- Hockey maestro Aura takes over big job at ButaliHockey 2 days ago
- Shujaa to trample on anyone who gets in their wayRugby 11 hours ago