Arsenal chiefs set to meet Barcelona officials to thrash out Philippe Coutinho loan deal
Arsenal chiefs are set to meet with Barcelona officials to thrash out a loan deal for ex-Liverpool star Philippe Coutinho, according to reports.
The Gunners take on Barcelona in the Joan Gamper Trophy at the Nou Camp on Sunday, and discussions will take place around the game.
Coutinho joined Barcelona for £142million back in 2018 but has fallen down the pecking order in Spain and is facing an uncertain future.
Barcelona are open to the idea of letting the Brazilian go on loan for the season, and Arsenal have emerged as a surprise contender for his temporary signature, according to Spanish publication Sport.
The Gunners' head of football Raul Sanllehi is set to lead the talks to land Coutinho.
The move for the former Liverpool star comes just day after Arsenal secured the £72million signing of Nicolas Pepe from Lille.
Unai Emery's side were in hot pursuit of the Ivorian for much of the summer and finally got the deal over the line this week.
Pepe said: "Being here is very emotional. I have come a long way and struggled a lot and so signing for this great club is a big reward.
"It was important to make the right decision and I am convinced that Arsenal is the right choice."
Emery added: "Nicolas is a highly rated and talented winger who was wanted by many of the top teams in Europe.
"Signing a top-class winger has been one of our key objectives in this transfer window and I'm delighted he's joining.
"He will add pace, power and creativity, with the aim of bringing more goals to our team."
- England coach: Ronaldo, Messi wouldn't do what rugby players doRugby 1 day ago
- Kenya 7s eye Tokyo Olympics qualifiersRugby 1 day ago
- Victory for Kenyans at last in the ICC T20Cricket 1 day ago
- Hansen preps All Blacks for unlikely kicking contest against EnglandRugby 1 day ago
- FKF sweats over Sh125m paid for OB van yet to be deliveredFootball 20 hours ago
- Athletics: Simui sets eyes on Standard Chartered 10km race titleAthletics 20 hours ago
- Diamond League format denies Kenyans more incomeAthletics 20 hours ago