Good news: KRA finally clears 10 betting firms
Many Kenyans may be licking their lips after the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) cleared 10 betting firms on Monday, July 22.
The companies were among the 27 whose licences had failed to be renewed by the Government over tax compliance.
They include Lucky 2u, Eazi Bet, Kick off, Eastleighbet, Palms Bet, Bet boss, Betway, OdiBets, Mozzartbet and Ken Bookmakers.
The Government, last week cracked its whip on the firms who in turn insisted on their compliance to the country’s gambling rules and regulations.
The nightmare started when Interior Cabinet Secretary Dr Fred Matiang’i directed that betting firms be vetted afresh by July 1.
This prompted the Betting Control and Licensing Board (BCLB) to roll out a new set of rules that left many firms struggling to keep their heads above water.
The new conditions required them to be tax compliant, operate within the country’s rules and regulations governing the betting sector, and also prove their financial stability in the last four years.
Since the State’s move took effect, leading betting companies like SportPesa and others have had their payment systems blocked until they prove to the Government that they are fit to operate in the country.
However, SportPesa has been in touch with its customers concerning the situation and how they are working with the relevant authorities to restore their systems.
With the elite leagues around the world starting soon, gamblers in the country will be hoping that licences of their favourite betting companies be renewed as soon as possible for them to start gaming again.
- Kenya taught vital football lesson by SenegalFootball 1 month ago
- Former Barca and Man City midfielder Yaya Toure has a new clubFootball 1 month ago
- Meet star who signed for Chelsea before Hazard but yet to make first-team appearanceFootball 1 month ago
- JESUS WEPT! Brazil superstar punches VAR before breaking down in tearsFootball 1 month ago
- Six top footballers linked with ArsenalGossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- Manchester United secure major signing ahead of new seasonFootball 1 month ago
- Atletico Madrid sign Man United target for for Sh15 billion Football 1 month ago