Reason why Man Utd's transfer for Bruno Fernandes has been delayed
Manchester United have been linked with Bruno Fernandes for the past month, but a transfer for the Portugal international has yet to take place.
Instead, the Red Devils have prioritised landing Daniel James from Swansea City and Aaron Wan-Bissaka from Crystal Palace, but they reportedly remain keen on signing the Sporting Lisbon man.
What's more, Fernandes is also said to be very keen on a move to Old Trafford and is reportedly confident a transfer will take place in this summer's window.
So what is holding things up? The answer could lie with a bizarre clause in Fernandes' contract.
Less of an official clause, more of a gentleman's agreement, Fernandes allegedly struck a deal with Sporting last summer when the club was in disarray.
Instead of ripping up his contract and walking away, like some of his former team-mates, Fernandes reportedly agreed to stay put on one condition.
The condition was that if another club made a €35million bid for him Sporting would either have to accept the offer or pay the player a €5million compensation fee.
The agreement somewhat rubbishes the midfielder's reported €90million release clause, but enabled Sporting to keep hold of Fernandes last season.
The Red Devils could make a €35million bid for the midfielder and force Sporting's hand, but this could be a risky move, given the fact personal terms are yet to be agreed.
If the transfer was to break down after a bid was made then Sporting would have to pay Fernandes €5million, and this would certainly sour their relationship with United.
It, therefore, seems that the Red Devils are waiting to tick all the boxes with Fernandes' agent Miguel Pinho first to ensure the transfer is a goer before lodging a formal bid.
- Scotland in the slow lane as World Cup hopes dashed by JapanRugby 2 days ago
- Eliud Kipchoge nominated for prestigious global awardAthletics 2 days ago
- Bulgaria PM urges football chief to resign after England match racismFootball 1 day ago
- Bandari beat Coastal Union as they end Tanzania tourFootball 18 hours ago
- Brigid, Chepkoech shortlisted for IAAF awardsAthletics 18 hours ago
- Cross Country: Top stars set for Isaiah Kiplagat cross country showpieceAthletics 17 hours ago
- Kipchoge arrives home after running marathon in under two hoursAthletics 15 hours ago