Football star missing after swimming accident in Italian lake
A player on Switzerland's national women's football team, Florijana Ismaili, has been declared missing after a swimming accident on Lake Como in northern Italy, her professional club announced Sunday.
The BSC Young Boys club said in a statement that they had "been informed that our player Florijana Ismaili has been missing since Saturday afternoon on Lake Como after a swimming accident".
"Searches by the police continue," the statement said, adding that "we are very concerned and have not given up the hope that everything will turn out well".
The club said it was "in close contact with family members".
Ismaili, who is captain of the Young Boys team, has been on Switzerland's national team since 2014.
According to the Italian daily Corriere della Sera, Ismaili had decided to spend a relaxing day at the lake with a teammate, and they had rented an inflatable boat near Musso.
"She jumped in to the water, but never surfaced again," the paper said.
The alarm was reportedly sounded at 4:30 pm (1430 GMT), and divers began searching the area, with no results.
The search was suspended overnight, but reportedly resumed Sunday morning.
- Kenya's Kiptum gets four-year ban for dopingAthletics 2 days ago
- Shock as Kenyan runner Abraham Kiptum is banned for four yearsAthletics 2 days ago
- Why Dope? What Abraham Kiptum is losing after four-year banAthletics 2 days ago
- Revealed: Mahrez could have been an Arsenal player…butGossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- Cancer survivor, father of three dies after boxing training session goes wrongBoxing 2 days ago
- Sterling dropped by England after clash with GomezFootball 2 days ago
- Man City to spend Sh11 billion to try catch up with Liverpool in JanuaryFootball 2 days ago