AFCON: Sebastien Migne declares his confidence ahead of Senegal clash
Harambee Stars coach Sebastian Migne has declared his confidence ahead of Kenya’s last Group C tie of 2019 Africa Cup of Nations against Senegal on Monday, July 1 at the 30 June Stadium in Cairo, Egypt.
The Frenchman believes that his side will stun the Lions of Teranga for a spot in the round of 16 of the tournament.
“We know it will be difficult playing against the number one country in Africa (FIFA Rankings). But it was difficult as well when we came up against Ghana during qualification and we won. We can do it,” said Migne.
Harambee Stars head into the match after a hard-fought 3-2 victory against neighbours Tanzania, a thrilling clash that saw Kenya come back into the match twice for a first meaningful win at the Nations Cup.
Sensational goals from striker Michael Olunga and attacking midfielder Johanna Omollo were enough to close AFCON curtains for Taifa Stars earning Harambee Stars a crucial win in the Egyptian capital.
Tactician Migne further praised youngster John Avire for his epic performances in the tie after replacing Gor Mahia’s Francis Kahata in the first half.
“I think it was a good decision. It was necessary to add a striker to partner Olunga upfront and Avire coming on gave Olunga much more freedom. Sometimes coaches are afraid of fielding young players in such matches but I’m not,” said Migné.
Kenya tie points with Senegal in Group C but the Lions of Teranga are ahead in goal difference.
A win for Harambee Stars on Monday, July 1 will secure them a second spot in the group and see them through to the knockout stages of a tournament they last featured in 2004.
A draw could see Kenya get one of the four best loser spots at stake depending on the results from other group matches.
- Tennis star fined Sh5.7million for playing below standards at WimbledonTennis 1 month ago
- Uhuru to preside over Safari RallySports 1 month ago
- Kenya taught vital football lesson by SenegalFootball 1 month ago
- Lukaku’s cousin set to help Arsenal land dream target Football 1 month ago
- How South Africa’s Bafana Bafana knocked out AFCON hosts Egypt Football 1 month ago
- AFCON: Maybe this year will be the one – Senegal coachFootball 1 month ago
- Neymar Champions League match ban confirmedFootball 2 months ago