Kenyan-born cyclist Froome shares image from hospital after horror crash
Following suffering a broken femur, hip, and a fractured rib while training on Wednesday last week, Kenyan-born Cyclist Chris Froome has moved to share an image of his state while in hospital.
Froome, who will now miss this year’s Tour De France was airlifted to St Etienne University hospital and placed on intensive care due to the severity of his injuries.
The 34-year-old has now been ruled out of action for at least six months.
The dreadful crash occurred during a practice session ahead of stage four of the Criterium du Dauphine, one of the penultimate trials before the Tour de France.
Here is Froome’s message as captured by Game Yetu:
“Firstly, I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone who has sent their best wishes to me since the crash.
This is obviously a tough time but I have taken a lot of strength from the support over the last three days. The outpouring of support has been really humbling and something I would never have expected.
I’d also like to extend my gratitude to the Team, especially Doctor Richard Usher and his medical staff, who have been exemplary since the crash.
In addition, I am so thankful to the emergency services and everyone at Roanne Hospital who assisted and stabilised me, as well as the surgeons, doctors and nurses at the University Hospital of St Etienne, who have really gone above and beyond the call of duty, for which I am ever so grateful. I know how lucky I am to be here today and how much I owe to all the paramedics and medical staff on the race.
“Whilst this is a setback and a major one at that, I am focusing on looking forward. There is a long road to recovery ahead, but that recovery starts now and I am fully focused on returning back to my best. Finally, I want to thank my wife Michelle and my family. They’ve been with me every step of the way and their love and support will motivate me to return as quickly as possible.”
**Quotes retrieved from Mirror
- Uhuru to preside over Safari RallySports 3 weeks ago
- Nemanja Vidic lined up for shock Man United returnFootball 2 weeks ago
- Revealed: Why Chelsea delayed announcing Frank Lampard's return to Stamford BridgeFootball 2 weeks ago
- Drama as Mane scores, misses penalty as Senegal knock out UgandaFootball 2 weeks ago
- Shock as Messi faces two year banFootball 2 weeks ago
- Mercy Wanjiru stars at KDF showpieceAthletics 2 weeks ago
- Revealed: Reason why Paul Pogba was missing from Man Utd's first day back for pre-season trainingFootball 3 weeks ago