Kariobangi Sharks ready to pounce on Everton
Kariobangi Sharks chairman Robert Maoga says the team is looking forward to take on English Premier League side Everton on July 7.
This will be the first-ever visit by Everton to Kenya. They made their maiden visit to East Africa two years ago to Tanzania.
Maoga said the historic match is a great opportunity for his players to showcase their talent.
“We are happy to be where we are due to football which has remained a great inspiration to our players. Playing Everton is a dream come true for our players and it is likely to move them on to bigger things,” he said.
SportPesa Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Ronald Karauri praised the team for the hard work they displayed to win the regional cup.
“When we signed our sponsorship deal with Everton, we made sure that part of the agreement was for them to visit Kenya. We believe Kariobangi Sharks can upset them as it is not a surprise that they won the regional tournament we had in Tanzania. They have worked to be where they are,” he said.
Karauri also expressed confidence that national team Harambee Stars has what it takes to feature in the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
“As SportPesa, we have done our part to support Harambee Stars who have qualified for this year’s Africa Cup of Nations finals and we believe they can make it to the World Cup,” he said.
Football Kenya Federation (FKF) President Nick Mwendwa said the federation is grateful for the support that SportPesa has offered in the last four years.
“They have been with us from the start and we believe with their support, Stars can play in the 2022 World Cup,” he said.
Sports Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohammed also attended the event.
- Looking at this latest EPL table, do you think Man Utd can displace Arsenal?Football 2 days ago
- Arsenal beaten by Leicester Football 2 days ago
- Rugby: Mwamba return to winning ways as Kabras floor ImpalaRugby 2 days ago
- KPL: Tusker, Ulinzi Stars draw as All Stars fish out SharksFootball 2 days ago
- Basketball: Champs Equity Hawks claw Tangit Sparks in play-off tieBasketball 2 days ago
- Hockey: Lakers hit JKUAT at City ParkHockey 2 days ago
- How Gor Mahia left rivals AFC Leopards sleeping in the denFootball 2 days ago