Valencia team bus involved in crash after Copa del Rey victory over Barcelona
The Valencia bus carrying the Copa del Rey trophy and some members the playing squad was involved in a collision with a lorry in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Valencia staff and some family members were also on board the bus, which was making its way back to the team hotel following their cup triumph over Barcelona.
Details on the incident were released by police, and it is claimed a vehicle collided with a lorry before the team bus became involved.
One person was injured in the collision, although Spanish daily Marca claims that everybody on board the bus escaped unharmed.
The bus, which suffered no serious damage, was able to continue to the team’s hotel in Jerez before the team returned to Valencia to celebrate their latest triumph.
Valencia marked their centenary season in style by stunning Barcelona to win their first trophy since 2008 with a 2-1 victory in the Copa del Rey final.
Barca's Champions League hangover showed no signs of lifting after that four-goal semi-final comeback victory by Liverpool at Anfield.
It meant a season which promised so much a month ago ended with just a league title, which was wrapped up on April 27.
Valencia, who finished fourth in La Liga, 26 points behind Barca, took a 2-0 first-half lead through Kevin Gameiro and Rodrigo.
And even Lionel Messi could not rescue his side this time even though he scored the goal which set up a frantic finish.
- Everton 2 – 0 West Ham: Resurgent Everton outclass West Ham to end losing runFootball 2 days ago
- Man United job isn't too big for me, says SolskjaerFootball 2 days ago
- David Luiz reveals the club that can challenge Liverpool to win EPL title this seasonFootball 2 days ago
- Alonso silences Newcastle taunts as Chelsea climb to thirdFootball 2 days ago
- Spurs stumble again as Leicester winFootball 2 days ago
- Seven-try All Blacks outclass Ireland to reach World Cup semisRugby 2 days ago
- Cricket: Scotland beat Kenya in T20Cricket 2 days ago