Sofapaka man attracts interest from popular German club
Football players around the continent look up to the European leagues for inspiration and sometimes dream of playing there at some point in their careers.
It could be a dream come true for Sofapaka hotshot striker Umar Kasumba, who is now a wanted man after his exploits on the pitch this season.
The Ugandan has had a good campaign this season, netting on 17 occasions in the league and 22 in all competitions.
His sizzling form has attracted interest from all over the continent with KPL clubs Gor Mahia and AFC Leopards leading a host of clubs from Rwanda, Tanzania, Egypt, Morocco and Zambia that are in hot pursuit of his services.
But the African clubs could be blown away since there is a stronger interest from Europe that could just change the player's mind.
German third-tier club FSV Zwickau has taken notice of the 23-year-old’s talent and entered the bidding war. They have reportedly invited him for trials that could lead to him being handed a contract if he succeeds.
“It’s true, we have been in touch with one club from Germany Bundesliga 3. They have agreed to have him on a three-week trial when the league in Kenya ends. I want him first to finish the league,” the 23-year-old’s agent Ronnie Nuwagira told Ugandan website Kawowo Sports.
Kasumba is now locked in a battle for the 2018-19 golden boot with KK Homeboyz’s Allan Wanga and Ulinzi’s Enosh Ochieng. Wanga has 18 goals while Ochieng has managed 16 so far.
However, Sofapaka could regret not tying down their star striker with a lucrative contract. Should the move go through, Batoto Ba Mungu will not receive any transfer fee as he is out of contract at the end of the campaign.
- UON Dynamites square it out with FlamesBasketball 2 days ago
- Simbas eye revenge against ZimbabweRugby 2 days ago
- SA and Spain sides headline Safari SevensRugby 2 days ago
- Players' union wants matches postponed in extreme heatFootball 2 days ago
- New 7s team coach Feeney promises to turn around Shujaa fortunes Rugby 1 day ago
- Barcelona starlet Fati granted Spanish citizenshipFootball 2 days ago
- Athletes set for Kabarak Half MarathonAthletics 2 days ago