Iker Casillas' wife Sara Carbonero reveals she's fighting ovarian cancer
The wife of Iker Casillas has revealed she is fighting ovarian cancer - just three weeks after the Spain legend suffered a heart attack.
Sara Carbonero made the shock announcement on Tuesday.
She said on social media, in an emotional post less than three weeks after her partner suffered a heart attack while training for club side Porto: “When we hadn’t yet recovered from one shock, life has surprised us again.
“This time it’s me, that six-letter word I still struggle to write.
“A few days ago during a check-up, doctors described a malignant ovarian tumour and I have been operated on.
“Everything has turned out okay and fortunately we caught it in time but I’ve still got some months left fighting while I have the corresponding treatment.
“I’m calm and confident everything is going to be okay. I know the road will be tough but will also have a happy ending.
“I have the support of my family and friend and a great medical team.”
The TV sports journalist added: “I take advantage of this moment to ask that my journalist colleagues show the respect and understanding they have always shown me, especially in these difficult and delicate times for me and my family.”
The 35-year-old, who has two sons with her husband, helped organise his 38th birthday on Monday, before breaking the news of her own health battle.
She was filming in Tarifa in southern Spain when former Real Madrid shot-stopper Casillas suffered his heart attack on May 1.
Last week the World Cup winner called for 'quiet' amid reports he is set to bring the curtain down on his legendary career.
The 37-year-old declared on social media: "Retire, there will be a day I have to retire. Let me announce the news when that time comes. For now, quiet.
"Yesterday I had a review with Dr. Filipe Macedo. All very well. That's really great news I wanted to share with everyone!"
After three years on sabbatical living in Porto with Casillas, Carbonaro recently returned to Madrid to continue her career with Deportes Cuatro.
- Chelsea star agrees new five-year deal hours after Lampard’s appointmentFootball 1 month ago
- What went wrong with Harambee Stars in Egypt?Football 1 month ago
- How Kenyan stewards forgot their job as Kariobangi Sharks schooled Everton [Photos]Football 1 month ago
- Good news for Man United as club ‘agrees terms’ with Portuguese powerhouseGossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- Gor Mahia complete signing of Rwandese goal machineFootball 1 month ago
- Barcelona superstar 'says yes' to PSG transfer - paving way for Neymar returnFootball 1 month ago
- Gor Mahia to fly Kenyan flag in Kagame CupFootball 1 month ago