Uganda boat disaster: Ugandan boat with footballers capsizes in Lake Albert
A boat carrying football players and fans has capsized in Lake Albert in western Uganda.
Three people have been confirmed dead by Ugandan media as rescue mission for 29 others who are still missing is underway.
The passengers were travelling from Fofo in Hoima district to neighboring Runga to play friendly matches for both men and women.
Ugandan media outlet; The Daily Monitor quoted Sadic Nyangireki, the Nyakabingo parish youth chairman and a businessman at Fofo, as saying the accident could have been caused by overloading and a strong wind that blew shortly after the boat left the landing site.
“The boat capsized about 300 metres after taking off from the landing site,” said Mr Nyangireki.
“The coxswain attempted to return to the landing site when the winds started blowing but the boat capsized,” he said.
A survivor of the accident told Monitor that the boat had a hole that was letting in water.
- Zaha sends powerful message to fans on joining ArsenalFootball 1 month ago
- Man United First training: New boy Daniel James in action [Photos]Football 1 month ago
- Griezmann shocks football world, delivers on threat Football 1 month ago
- Good news for Man United as club ‘agrees terms’ with Portuguese powerhouseGossip & Rumours 1 month ago
- Harambee Stars goalkeeper joins Tanzania’s Yanga FCFootball 1 month ago
- Barcelona superstar 'says yes' to PSG transfer - paving way for Neymar returnFootball 1 month ago
- Lukaku’s cousin set to help Arsenal land dream target Football 1 month ago