Uganda boat disaster: Ugandan boat with footballers capsizes in Lake Albert
A boat carrying football players and fans has capsized in Lake Albert in western Uganda.
Three people have been confirmed dead by Ugandan media as rescue mission for 29 others who are still missing is underway.
The passengers were travelling from Fofo in Hoima district to neighboring Runga to play friendly matches for both men and women.
Ugandan media outlet; The Daily Monitor quoted Sadic Nyangireki, the Nyakabingo parish youth chairman and a businessman at Fofo, as saying the accident could have been caused by overloading and a strong wind that blew shortly after the boat left the landing site.
“The boat capsized about 300 metres after taking off from the landing site,” said Mr Nyangireki.
“The coxswain attempted to return to the landing site when the winds started blowing but the boat capsized,” he said.
A survivor of the accident told Monitor that the boat had a hole that was letting in water.
- Man City unveil new kits for 2019/20 season inspired by historic nightclubPremier League 2 weeks ago
- Revealed: What Lampard demanded from Chelsea in contract talksFootball 1 week ago
- Arsenal to finally get rid of superstar after ‘50 per cent’ breakthroughFootball 1 week ago
- Europa League preview: Arsenal seek early advantage as Chelsea look forward to easy strollFootball 3 months ago
- Manchester United superstars in rift over scoring bonusesFootball 2 months ago
- England Rugby League star donates brain to scienceRugby 1 week ago
- Harambee Stars Vs Senegal: We can do it – MigneFootball 2 weeks ago