Uganda boat disaster: Ugandan boat with footballers capsizes in Lake Albert
A boat carrying football players and fans has capsized in Lake Albert in western Uganda.
Three people have been confirmed dead by Ugandan media as rescue mission for 29 others who are still missing is underway.
The passengers were travelling from Fofo in Hoima district to neighboring Runga to play friendly matches for both men and women.
Ugandan media outlet; The Daily Monitor quoted Sadic Nyangireki, the Nyakabingo parish youth chairman and a businessman at Fofo, as saying the accident could have been caused by overloading and a strong wind that blew shortly after the boat left the landing site.
“The boat capsized about 300 metres after taking off from the landing site,” said Mr Nyangireki.
“The coxswain attempted to return to the landing site when the winds started blowing but the boat capsized,” he said.
A survivor of the accident told Monitor that the boat had a hole that was letting in water.
- Everton 2 – 0 West Ham: Resurgent Everton outclass West Ham to end losing runFootball 2 days ago
- Man United job isn't too big for me, says SolskjaerFootball 2 days ago
- David Luiz reveals the club that can challenge Liverpool to win EPL title this seasonFootball 2 days ago
- Alonso silences Newcastle taunts as Chelsea climb to thirdFootball 2 days ago
- Spurs stumble again as Leicester winFootball 2 days ago
- Seven-try All Blacks outclass Ireland to reach World Cup semisRugby 2 days ago
- Cricket: Scotland beat Kenya in T20Cricket 2 days ago