Kylian Mbappe drops transfer bombshell in front of stunned PSG boss
Kylian Mbappe stunned the crowd - and his manager Thomas Tuchel - at a Ligue 1 awards night as he suggested that he could leave Paris Saint-Germain.
The forward had just picked up the Ligue 1 player of the year award following a stellar season in which he has scored 38 goals in 42 games when he made the shock announcement.
Seemingly referencing PSG's surprise defeat to Manchester United in the Champions League last-16, Mbappe spoke of moving on to "a new project" if he gets the chance to.
"Of course there have been lots of disappointment this season but that is part of football," said Mbappe on stage, where he was joined by the slightly bemused Chelsea legend Didier Drogba.
"This is a very important moment for me, I am arriving at maybe the first or second turning point in my career.
"I have learned so much here, and I feel it's maybe the time to have more responsibility.
"Maybe at PSG, that would give me great pleasure, or maybe elsewhere for a new project."
His words stunned PSG boss Tuchel, who could be seen reacting with a surprised expression in the audience.
World Cup winner Mbappe then doubled down on his words when speaking to reporters after the ceremony.
"I said what I had to say," he said.
"When you are in such an occasion you can send messages, I think I have sent mine.
"If I speak more it will be too much and that is not the message I wish to send."
Mbappe signed for PSG in a £166million deal in 2017, which was initially arranged as a loan.
Real Madrid are known admirers of the 20-year-old, and are sure to have been made aware of the comments.
- Do not shoot blanks – Gor Mahia coach Polack challenges his strikers Football 2 days ago
- Group of Man United fans banned by Chelsea over homophobic chantsPremier League 2 days ago
- Why it is important for players to follow rules and respect othersGolf 8 hours ago
- UEFA Champions Leagues round of 16 preview by ChezaCashFootball 2 days ago
- KPL not sure of prize money for the on-going seasonFootball 8 hours ago
- First openly gay British football player Fashanu makes Hall of FameFootball 2 days ago
- Former Rugby star and three children die in car fire tragedyRugby 2 days ago