Kylian Mbappe drops transfer bombshell in front of stunned PSG boss
Kylian Mbappe stunned the crowd - and his manager Thomas Tuchel - at a Ligue 1 awards night as he suggested that he could leave Paris Saint-Germain.
The forward had just picked up the Ligue 1 player of the year award following a stellar season in which he has scored 38 goals in 42 games when he made the shock announcement.
Seemingly referencing PSG's surprise defeat to Manchester United in the Champions League last-16, Mbappe spoke of moving on to "a new project" if he gets the chance to.
"Of course there have been lots of disappointment this season but that is part of football," said Mbappe on stage, where he was joined by the slightly bemused Chelsea legend Didier Drogba.
"This is a very important moment for me, I am arriving at maybe the first or second turning point in my career.
"I have learned so much here, and I feel it's maybe the time to have more responsibility.
"Maybe at PSG, that would give me great pleasure, or maybe elsewhere for a new project."
His words stunned PSG boss Tuchel, who could be seen reacting with a surprised expression in the audience.
World Cup winner Mbappe then doubled down on his words when speaking to reporters after the ceremony.
"I said what I had to say," he said.
"When you are in such an occasion you can send messages, I think I have sent mine.
"If I speak more it will be too much and that is not the message I wish to send."
Mbappe signed for PSG in a £166million deal in 2017, which was initially arranged as a loan.
Real Madrid are known admirers of the 20-year-old, and are sure to have been made aware of the comments.
- UON Dynamites square it out with FlamesBasketball 1 day ago
- Simbas eye revenge against ZimbabweRugby 2 days ago
- Athletes set for Kabarak Half MarathonAthletics 2 days ago
- SA and Spain sides headline Safari SevensRugby 1 day ago
- Players' union wants matches postponed in extreme heatFootball 2 days ago
- Wambui and Kageha out of Kenya team to world meetAthletics 1 day ago
- New 7s team coach Feeney promises to turn around Shujaa fortunes Rugby 1 day ago