Basketball: Strathmore and KU Oryx register win in league ties
Strathmore Swords yesterday beat African Nazarene University (ANU) 69-42 in a Kenya Basketball Federation (KBF) women’s Premier League match at Nyayo Stadium Gymnasium.
Clara Rotich was the undisputed star of the match anchoring her side to victory with 21 points.
Lynn Saliamo scored eight points for promoted ANU. The win saw Strathmore inch closer to securing a playoffs slot. In another encounter, Kenyatta University (KU) Oryx laboured to a 64-57 win over Tangit Sparks.
Strathmore dominated their opponents from the onset making their intention for victory known by the end of the first quarter as they took a comfortable 27-12 lead.
They made it impossible for ANU to recover with a 43-18 half-time lead. ANU were rejuvenated in the third quarter scoring 15 points one more than Swords. Strathmore controlled the final quarter taking it 12-9 and seal the win.
KU Oryx rallied from behind to overcome Tangit Sparks. Tangit controlled the first two quarters for a 31-25 half-time advantage.
However, determined to secure victory, the students fought to reduce the difference in the third quarter scoring 17 against Tangit’s 18.
They put up a spirited fight in the final quarter capitalising on the opponents' lapse in defence, to score 22 points, 14 more than Tangit and snatch the win.
Strathmore University’s second side beat Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) 56-30 in a women’s Division Two match.
Ivy Opicho top scored for Strathmore with 20 points while Molly Odhiambo scored nine for JKUAT who are seeking a place in the last four to increase their chances of qualifying for the top tier. Last season, JKUAT came close to sealing their place in Premier League but fell short.
- Malian International Moussa Marega subtitutes himself after racist chantsFootball 2 days ago
- How Arsene Wenger plans to rewrite offside law in a bid to end VAR controversyFootball 5 hours ago
- Man United's Maguire should have seen red, says LampardFootball 1 day ago
- After UEFA ban, Mourinho jokes about Guardiola's 2018 titleFootball 1 day ago
- Boxing: Achieng to face Tanzanian Daudi in MarchBoxing 2 days ago
- Fans react to Man United’s win over Chelsea amid VAR controversyPremier League 1 day ago
- Barcelona given permission to sign forward this month by La LigaFootball 1 day ago