Man United star called into CEO’s office after home defeat to Cardiff
Ed Woodward spoke to Manchester United midfielder Juan Mata in his office following defeat by Cardiff City on the final day of the season.
Mata is out of contract at Old Trafford in July and is yet to agree terms on a new deal.
The Spaniard is keen to remain at Manchester United but wants assurances over his future ahead of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's summer cull.
United recently confirmed the departure of Ander Herrera, whose contract was allowed to expire.
The midfielder, who is good friends with Mata, is set to join Paris Saint-Germain on a £200,000-a-week deal once the summer transfer window opens.
Manchester United are believed to be keen to retain Mata's services, but the Spaniard could go the same way as Herrera and leave the club on a free.
According to United We Stand founder Andy Mitten, Mata was invited to talk to Red Devils executive vice-chairman Woodward in his office after the final match of the season.
The pair would have likely addressed the topic of Mata's future.
Solskjaer is under pressure to streamline his team before bringing in new recruits this summer.
Players including Alexis Sanchez, Romelu Lukaku and Anthony Martial could all make way, while the likes of Joao Felix and Kalidou Koulibaly could join.
- Wilfred Bungei: Alcohol nearly ruined meAthletics 2 months ago
- Maradona dismisses new film, angry at being dubbed a ‘hustler’Football 4 weeks ago
- Kenya face Madagascar in first warm-up matchFootball 1 week ago
- Boxing news: Mike Tyson's response when asked if he would beat Anthony JoshuaBoxing 1 month ago
- Superstar breaks fastest goal Premier League recordFootball 1 month ago
- Taekwondo: KDF win Chairman’s Cup Sports 1 month ago
- AFCON 2019: Sebastien Migne names 30-man provisional Harambee Stars squadFootball 1 month ago