KRU Championship: Bulls, Kisumu target promotion in league
Western Bulls long to make a return to Kenya Cup after two-year absence when they meet hosts United States International University-Africa (USIU) RFC in one of the KRU Championship play-off semifinals.
Catholic University of East Africa (Monks) RFC host Kisumu RFC in the second semis with the two finalists set to earn promotion to the 2019-20 Kenya Cup season.
Speaking to Standard Sports yesterday, Bulls head coach Bram Shikanda said they have prepared well for the final after easing past the quarter-final play-offs without much fuss thanks to a walk over after Mombasa RFC failed to show up.
“We were lucky with the walk over as we have no injuries ahead of the do or die battle against USIU today. The team is fired up and we are looking forward to making a comeback to the Kenya Cup,” Shikanda said.
In the second semis, Howard Okwemba’s side that knocked out a stubborn Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology (MMUST) RFC in the quarters will take on season leaders Catholic Monks.
Kisumu are seeking a return to top flight rugby after five years’ hiatus but Okwemba has urged his team to be wary of the university outfit that defeated them at their home ground in the regular season.
“We lost 8-3 to Monks in Kisumu so we have to be more careful against them if we are to make a comeback to the Kenya Cup next season. We believe we can make it despite their home advantage,” said Okwemba.
- Arsenal to hold talks with Carlo AncelottiPremier League 2 days ago
- Australian Barty named WTA Player of the YearTennis 2 days ago
- Tusker make light work of Wazito to go take league leadSports 2 days ago
- Zico dedicates Harambee Stars win to suspended KimanziFootball 2 days ago
- Malkia Strikers promise to deliver Olympics slotVolleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- Gritty Thunder strike Ulinzi WarriorsBasketball 2 days ago
- Man United and Liverpool in transfer battle to sign Bayer Leverkusen talentPremier League 2 days ago