David Luiz delighted to commit to Chelsea as he signs new two-year contract
Chelsea star David Luiz has penned a new two-year contract at the club that will keep him in London until 2021.
The Brazilian’s contract at the Bridge was set to expire at the end of the current campaign and he has been in talks with the club for the majority of the season.
The 32-year-old’s heroics in defence have been appealing to Maurizio Sarri and the club’s management this season and they have therefore rewarded him with a new deal.
'I am so happy to be here and to have this opportunity to stay. I love this club and I still have the ambition of a young player.
'It means a lot to reach another European final, and we still have the opportunity to finish in the top three of the Premier League this season and I will continue to try to do my best to help the team.' Said Luiz upon signing.
Chelsea Director Marina Granovskaia expressed his delight and praised the defender’s decision to stay with the club.
'We are delighted David Luiz will be staying with the club. He has set the perfect example to those around him throughout the campaign and been a huge influence on and off the pitch.
'With the Europa League final still to come, we hope to finish off the season with silverware and David will be central to that success in Baku and beyond.' Said Granovskaia.
Luiz’s deal now beats the habit of casting off older players which saw Legends like Lampard and Terry leave due to the club’s reluctance to offer them new deals.
The club’s decision to extend Luiz’s deal may have been inspired by their two-window ban for signing overseas Under 18 players that will see them go without any new faces until the summer of 2020.
They are however set to appeal against the decision by FIFA.
- England coach: Ronaldo, Messi wouldn't do what rugby players doRugby 1 day ago
- Kenya 7s eye Tokyo Olympics qualifiersRugby 1 day ago
- Victory for Kenyans at last in the ICC T20Cricket 1 day ago
- Hansen preps All Blacks for unlikely kicking contest against EnglandRugby 1 day ago
- FKF sweats over Sh125m paid for OB van yet to be deliveredFootball 23 hours ago
- Athletics: Simui sets eyes on Standard Chartered 10km race titleAthletics 23 hours ago
- Diamond League format denies Kenyans more incomeAthletics 23 hours ago