Gor beat Chemelil to maintain a seven-point gap at the top

By Rodgers Eshitemi: Thursday, May 9th 2019 at 00:00 GMT +3 | Football
Gor Mahia’s Samuel Onyango (left) and Dennis Nga’nga’ of KCB FC during Kenyatta stadium, Machakos. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

Gor Mahia maintained a seven-point gap at the top of the SportPesa Premier League table after seeing off Chemelil Sugar 2-0 in Kisumu as Sofapaka bounced back to winning ways with a 2-0 victory over ten-man Western Stima at Kenyatta Stadium, Machakos yesterday.

Kenneth Muguna broke the deadlock in the 36th minute before Samuel Onyango doubled the lead in the 76th minute to take Gor's points to 63.

In an early kick-off match in Machakos, John Avire set up Kepha Aswani for the opening goal in the 21st minute before he doubled the lead on the half-hour mark with a cheeky header from captain George Maelo's brilliant delivery.

The power men had to finish the game with one man less after Barry Kote was sent off in the 79th minute for a second bookable offence.

Johnstone Ligare then scored a last gasp header as Zoo Kericho held wasteful AFC Leopards to a 1-1 draw in a second match in Machakos while Kariobangi Sharks stunned Mathare United 3-2 in slums derby at Kasarani.

Paul Were opened his goal account in the den with a clinical finish in the 11th minute only for Ligare to cancel out the Kenyan international's strike.

To get the latest soccer news, text 'SPORTS' to 22840.

It was a tale of missed chances with AFC Leopards midfielder Whyvonne Isuza and Zoo goalkeeper Martin Elung'at missing spot kicks for their respective clubs.

Isuza failed to capitalize on Elung'at's error to put Ingwe in front as his ninth-minute shot flashed inches wide.

Two minutes later Paul Were unleashed a fierce low shot past the keeper to give Leopards the lead after latching on Musa Saad's incisive pass. This was Were's first goal since his return in the den.
Isuza then saw his header crash against the right post before Oburu headed the rebound over the bar.

In the 20th minute, Isuza comfortably received a through ball, rounded off the keeper but he lashed his effort into the side netting before the former Mathare United man was denied by the post again.

Oburu thought he had doubled the lead for Ingwe only for his effort to hit the crossbar.
Kepha Ondati could have restored parity three minutes into the second half but AFC goalkeeper Ezekiel Owade came off his line to stop him before Oburu wasted a clear cut chance on the opposite end.

Leopards midfielder Dennis Ochieng then saw his free-kick deflected for a corner with Oburu's header going over the bar.

Elung'at had a chance to draw level in the 53rd minute from the spot after Derrick  Anami was hacked in the box by Robinson Kamura but Owade parried away his fellow goalkeeper's shot.

AFC were also awarded a penalty in the 81st minute after Isuza was brought down in the box but Isuza's prodded the resulting shot against the crossbar.

But Leopards were punished at the death when John Ligare leapt high to head home Geoffery Gichana's corner kick.

Yesterday's SPL results

Vihiga United 0-2 Bandari

Mathare United 2-3 Kariobangi Sharks

Chemelil Sugar 0-2 Gor Mahia

Sofapaka 2-0 Western Stima

AFC Leopards  1-1 Zoo

Ngeno shocks top guns in Doha trials
Ngeno shocks top guns in Doha trials
Athletics  2 days ago
Malkia Strikers make false start in Japan
Malkia Strikers make false start in Japan
Volleyball and Handball 7 hours ago