Thunder hit the Lakeside
Thunder, the 2018 Kenya Basketball Federation (KBF) men's semi finalists, intensified their hunt for a place in the play-offs with victory over Lakeside.
Yesterday, Thunder beat Lakeside 57-42 at Nyayo Gymnasium, to consolidate their top two spot on the log. Griffin Ligare emerged top scorer for Thunder with 13 points with his compatriots Kevin Chogo and Ancet Wafula adding seven and nine points respectively. Dennis Wekesa scored the highest for visiting Lakeside with eight points while Justus Okutoyi added six to their tally.
Lakeside were the stronger side in the first quarter, taking a six points lead as they scored 13 against Thunder's seven. Thunder, who finished third last season, then took charge of the proceedings in the second quarter taking it 16-10 for a level 23-23 score at half-time. With the victory likely to go either way, the third period was evenly contested as the two sides utilised every opportunity to score more points.
But it was the Sadat Gaya-coached Thunder that grabbed it 18-15, to take a three-point advantage going into the final quarter. Led by pacy Ligare, Thunder dominated the fourth quarter as their Lakeside opponents struggled to keep up with the high pace allowing them to win as they scored 16 points against four.
In women's premier league title chase, Melissa Akinyi exhibited class, powering her side Equity Bank Hawks to an emphatic 63-13 win over Storms. Akinyi, who has been instrumental for the bankers, sunk 19 points to see her side maintain their unbeaten run. Belinda Akoth scored 13 for Hawks while Matilda Wangare led Storms with five points. It was Storms' second loss in a row and third this season. Last weekend, they lost 47-49 to unrelenting Tangit Sparks.
Storms struggled from the onset, to trail Equity 9-15 by the end of the first period before they slumped.
- Touchdown Forte win Autumn championshipsSports 2 days ago
- Scotland in the slow lane as World Cup hopes dashed by JapanRugby 2 days ago
- Eliud Kipchoge nominated for prestigious global awardAthletics 2 days ago
- Bulgaria PM urges football chief to resign after England match racismFootball 1 day ago
- Bandari beat Coastal Union as they end Tanzania tourFootball 13 hours ago
- Brigid, Chepkoech shortlisted for IAAF awardsAthletics 13 hours ago
- Cross Country: Top stars set for Isaiah Kiplagat cross country showpieceAthletics 13 hours ago