Thunder hit the Lakeside
Thunder, the 2018 Kenya Basketball Federation (KBF) men's semi finalists, intensified their hunt for a place in the play-offs with victory over Lakeside.
Yesterday, Thunder beat Lakeside 57-42 at Nyayo Gymnasium, to consolidate their top two spot on the log. Griffin Ligare emerged top scorer for Thunder with 13 points with his compatriots Kevin Chogo and Ancet Wafula adding seven and nine points respectively. Dennis Wekesa scored the highest for visiting Lakeside with eight points while Justus Okutoyi added six to their tally.
Lakeside were the stronger side in the first quarter, taking a six points lead as they scored 13 against Thunder's seven. Thunder, who finished third last season, then took charge of the proceedings in the second quarter taking it 16-10 for a level 23-23 score at half-time. With the victory likely to go either way, the third period was evenly contested as the two sides utilised every opportunity to score more points.
But it was the Sadat Gaya-coached Thunder that grabbed it 18-15, to take a three-point advantage going into the final quarter. Led by pacy Ligare, Thunder dominated the fourth quarter as their Lakeside opponents struggled to keep up with the high pace allowing them to win as they scored 16 points against four.
In women's premier league title chase, Melissa Akinyi exhibited class, powering her side Equity Bank Hawks to an emphatic 63-13 win over Storms. Akinyi, who has been instrumental for the bankers, sunk 19 points to see her side maintain their unbeaten run. Belinda Akoth scored 13 for Hawks while Matilda Wangare led Storms with five points. It was Storms' second loss in a row and third this season. Last weekend, they lost 47-49 to unrelenting Tangit Sparks.
Storms struggled from the onset, to trail Equity 9-15 by the end of the first period before they slumped.
- IDPA Expert shooter Onyango set for MagTech Cup in HungarySports 3 weeks ago
- Meet Arsenal’s new striker – who had several trials at Man United Football 2 weeks ago
- Everton legends call to Sharks ahead of friendlyFootball 1 week ago
- Reason why Man Utd's transfer for Bruno Fernandes has been delayedFootball 1 week ago
- Neymar out of Copa America 2019 with ankle ligament injuryFootball 1 month ago
- What you didn’t know about the London Marathon, Kenya bloomingAthletics 2 months ago
- Arsenal highly unlikely to sign Wilfried Zaha as transfer saga turns uglyFootball 2 weeks ago