Refereeing couple subject to vile threats after Arsenal’s loss to Leicester
Michael Oliver and wife Lucy were subjected to vile threats after Arsenal's defeat to Leicester.
The Premier League referee took charge of Arsenal's clash at the King Power on Sunday as the Gunners were beaten 3-0.
During the clash, Oliver dismissed Ainsley Maitland-Niles for two yellow cards although replays showed the Arsenal youngster was unfortunate.
Oliver's wife Lucy is also a referee and she was officiating Arsenal Women in their title-clinching clash with Brighton on Sunday.
BBC broadcaster Jacqui Oatley tweeted to show the shocking abuse sent to Ms Oliver following Arsenal's loss at Leicester.
She posted: "Michael Oliver refereed Arsenal men (lost 3-0), while wife Lucy Oliver refereed Arsenal Women (won 4-0 and the title).
"Both did their jobs with utmost integrity as ever. Lucy was sent this vile tweet afterwards."
Oatley called on Twitter to take action over the abuse after an apparent Arsenal fan claimed "Michael Oliver deserves to be shot in the head".
The tweet added: "Michael and Lucy Oliver deserve nothing but the worst. Karma will catch up with these two disgraceful cheating c****."
Another Twitter user sent shocking sexist abuse towards Oatley after reporting the post.
A reply to her tweet read: "F*** off you s***. Get back to the kitchen. Women's football aint s***."
Speaking after the clash, Arsenal boss Unai Emery suggested Maitland-Niles shouldn't have been dismissed.
“For me the first yellow card for [Maitland-Niles] is not for me, it has affected our game plan a lot. One player less is difficult," he said.
“Today the condition [for losing] is the red card."
Arsenal remain in fifth in the Premier League table after their third defeat on the spin.
- Christian Mbulu dead: Morecambe defender dies at age of 23Football 2 days ago
- Tyson Fury claims he has accepted offer to fight Mike TysonBoxing 2 days ago
- Mwamba RFC announce new kit partnership with Samurai [PHOTOS]Rugby 1 day ago
- Virtual athletics: Cheruiyot to take on Norwegian brothers on June 11Athletics 2 days ago
- Blackburn star, two Fulham players test positive for COVID-19Football 1 day ago
- Premier League to restart on June 17 Premier League 1 day ago
- David Luiz’s time at Arsenal coming to an end?Football 1 day ago