Gor Mahia bottle Tusker to open seven point lead

By Rodgers Eshitemi: Sunday, April 28th 2019 at 00:00 GMT +3 | Football
KCB FC's Benson Amianda (left) and Idah Sosthenes of Kakamega Homeboyz FC during KPL match at Kenyatta Stadium, Machakos. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

Kenneth Muguna produced a man of the match performance, producing two assists as Gor Mahia beat Tusker 2-0 in Machakos yesterday to open a seven point lead at the top of the Sportpesa Premier League.

Gor Mahia’s closest rivals Sofapaka and Bandari will have a chance to continue keeping pace with the champions (55 points) when they take on Mathare United and AFC Leopards today at Kenyatta Stadium.

Muguna set up Rwandese import Jacques Tuyisenge for the opener in the 16th minute before he was involved in Samuel Onyango’s second goal on the half hour mark.

“That’s a brilliant performance from Muguna. He is in great form and he deserves to be in the national team,” Gor Mahia coach Hassan Oktay told Standard Sports.

In an earlier match at the same venue, Edwin Lavatsa came off the bench to score a late equaliser as Kakamega Homeboyz held KCB to a 1-1 draw.

Kennedy Owino capitalised on David Juma’s goalkeeping error in the first minute to give the bankers an early lead only for the former Gor Mahia man to cancel the opener and extend their winless run to five matches.

Get the latest sports news updates. Subscribe to our SMS sports service by texting 'SPORTS' to 22840.

The result saw the fourth-placed Homeboyz, who are now unbeaten in their last nine matches, take their points tally to 42.

In Awasi, Nzoia Sugar silenced Chemelil Sugar 2-1 in match that saw both teams end the game with ten men each.

Derrick Otanga gave his former coach Salim Babu a rude welcome, to Western Stima, scoring a second half brace as Sony Sugar beat the powermen 2-0 in Kisumu.

The defeat saw Stima, who last won on February 17 when they beat Mt Kenya United 2-1, extend their winless run to 13 games.

In Machakos, Gor threatened first in the opening three minutes with Tuyisenge’s surprise shot brilliantly saved by Tusker goalkeeper Robert Mboya before Samuel Onyango’s header flew inches wide.

The brewers then earned a free kick but goalkeeper Shaban Odhoji tipped Rodgers Aloro’s effort over thebar before Boniface Muchiri’s double shot was blocked by Gor defenders.

K’Ogalo finally broke the deadlock in the 16th minute when Tuyisenge clinically finished off Muguna’s cut.

For More of This and Other Sports Stories Subscribe to the Standard Epaper